- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup this all purpose mix*
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Ener-g Egg Replacer + 2 Tbsp warm water, mixed with a fork ‘til lightly frothy
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- ½ small red onion, finely chopped (optional, but highly recommended - yellow onion would work too)
- Canola oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg replacer, almond milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 350°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4-6 servings.
I based my recipe on this one from Taste of Home